How to integrate your Taboola account with AnyTrack in order to create custom audiences based on on-site events and conversions.
The Taboola conversion tracking option can help you measure the effectiveness of your campaigns and identify valuable customer activity on your website, such as clicks on call to actions and form submissions, as well as conversions coming from external sources such as affiliate networks, CRM's or API's.
With countless ad impressions being served up each day, it’s no wonder so many digital marketers rely on Taboola to reach targeted audiences. Taboola gives marketers an easy way of getting their offers in front of a massive audience. Sounds appealing, right? The reality is that running campaigns isn’t easy — and with such a great platform, succeeding with Taboola can be a challenging when trying to scale into a profitable campaign.
To help marketers get their marketing data aligned, we’ve brought the ability to instantly create custom audiences and conversions in Taboola, out of on-site engagements and conversions originating from affiliate networks.
On-site engagements are clicks on "Call To Action" and form submissions such as newsletters or opt-ins.
When you enable the Taboola conversion tracking option, AnyTrack will automatically send engagements and affiliate conversion events to your Taboola pixel.
Once the data is received by Taboola, you can use it to create both custom audiences and conversions.
Finally, you will be able to use the audience data to run retargeting campaigns, exclude converters from your campaign targeting or even "up-sell" products to suitable audiences.
Here's what you'll need before you can set up Taboola conversion tracking:
- You need the Taboola pixel installed on your site.
- You need to have an active AnyTrack account (personal or advanced subscription).
- Enabling the Taboola integration (so conversions can be sent to Taboola)
- Getting the URL template that you will add to your taboola campaigns
- 1.Conversion setup - so you can optimize campaigns according to each conversion goal.
- 2.Custom audience setup - so you can exclude / include audiences based on conversions
- 3.Campaign setup - based on conversions / including / excluding specific audiences.
- Sign in to your AnyTrack account
- Navigate to the Tracking Pixel Section and click on Taboola to start the setup
- Add your Pixel ID
- Toggle the Server-Side Events Option
- Conversion Event Mapping: Update the conversion names if you wish to, or leave the default conversion event names.
The left column shows the Events AnyTrack will track and report by default, and the right column represents the conversions that will be sent to Taboola.
We recommend to leave the default settings as you can always come back at a later stage to update these settings.
Taboola conversion event mapping
If you are setting up Taboola for a site that is already tracking events via AnyTrack, as soon as you save the Taboola settings in AnyTrack, events will be sent to your Taboola Pixel. You should wait 10-20 minutes and before Taboola starts reporting the conversions.
If you are setting up a new site / workspace, once you've saved your settings, you should trigger some test events and conversions to start sending data to Taboola.
AnyTrack sends events to Taboola, whether the traffic originate from Taboola or from an other traffic source.
Before you can configure audiences and conversions, you need first to triggers the conversion events in AnyTrack.
- Navigate to your website from a clean browser tab
- Click on one of your call to actions
- Fill one of your forms
- Sign in to your Taboola Account
- Navigate to the conversion tab
It can take up to 30 minutes for Taboola to process the conversion events.
Setting up your conversions implies that AnyTrack has already sent conversions to your pixel or you can manually create each conversion following the exact Event Name set in the Event Mapping (see above).
- Navigate to the Conversion section
- Create a conversion
- Type: Event
- Based on: Active (based on active shows up only when you've already sent events to Taboola)
Upon selecting Active, a choice of Events that have already been sent to Taboola will be displayed.
- Click on the Event you wish to configure as a conversion to display Conversion Properties
- Conversion Name: Do not change the name
- Category: Select the suitable conversion category (in this example, CallToAction is set as View Content)
- Set the other settings as you see fit
Include or not in total conversions is an important setting since it will impact the automatic optimization Taboola does and your campaign ROI.
We recommend to include in conversions only events that carry a conversion value
By default, Taboola will create an audience for each created conversion.
- Navigate to the Audience section
- Click on the Audience you want to update
- Audience Name: Update the name that will display in your reports
- Event Name :Read only⛔
- Include people from: Update according to what you need.
- Exclude Audience from all campaigns: Update according to your goals.
- Save Audience
- 1.Follow the on-screen setup guidelines
- 2.Select your campaign objective
- 3.Audiences - select audiences you'd like to target - only audiences with the relevant size will show up in the drop down.
- 4.Tracking: Add the AnyTrack tracking template in the field. The Taboola URL tracking template includes all parameters Taboola can automatically send to your site's URL.
- 5.Add inventory - The inventory is your campaign creatives and landing pages.
If you've added the tracking template to your Taboola account, you will not need to add any parameters to your landing page as they will be automatically passed through the tracking url template.
The tracking template also includes standard UTM parameters that will allow you to track your campaigns in Google Analytics, as well as build custom audiences in google Analytics according to your Taboola campaigns.
Taboola URL Tracking template